The ancient name of Procuratoria of St. Mark was given to the vestry-board
of St. Mark's cathedral basilica with a Royal Decree dated July 9, 1931.
Its duties are the protection, maintenance and repairs of the basilica,
bell tower and their pertinences. Indeed, the Procurators of St. Mark
constituted one of the most important magistracies of the state up until
the fall of the Republic of Venice (1797).
The Procurators of St. Mark de supra dealt with the administration of
the assets owned by St. Mark's church and the protection of the church.
The present Procuratoria council is made up of seven Procurators, from
among whom the chairman is chosen, called the prime Procurator.
The Procurators choose an engineer or architect, called the foreman of
St. Mark, to whom management of the technical services is entrusted. He
has specific duties relating to the respectful preservation of the buildings
and their single parts through use of the most suitable means that engineering
makes available, in conformity with the religion's needs and the provisions
of the ecclesiastic authorities.
The foreman is assisted by other professionals for all the tasks and activities
of the office: an engineer, two architects and a building surveyor.
The Mosaic Office reports to technical services management. It is in charge
of the preservation and repairs of the mosaic surface while keeping the
old tradition typical of St. Mark's alive. Also under technical services
management is a team of restorers who work on maintaining St. Mark's buildings
and their movables. The Procuratoria keeps a 19th-20th century archive
of documents and photographs, and also has a library specifically pertaining
to St. Mark's Basilica.
All administrative personnel, caretakers and security guards are employed
by the Procuratoria.
Members of the current Procuratoria Council are: Giorgio Orsoni (prime
Procurator), Antonio Meneguolo, Antonio Niero, Irene Favaretto, Giovanni
Candiani, Giovanni Mazzacurati and Dino Sesani.
St. Mark's Proto (foreman): Ettore Vio.